Rateable values and how to appeal

Rateable Value

The rateable value for each hereditament (rateable property) is assessed by the Valuation Office, an executive body of HM Revenues and Customs.

Other than a few exceptions the 2017 rateable value is based on the market rent it would be expected to command as at 1 April 2015.

The rateable values for this district can be obtained by either contacting this office or by the The Valuation Office Agency  website.

In most cases the Valuation Office website can also provide a breakdown as to how the rateable value has been calculated.

How to Appeal

If you believe your rateable value is incorrect you can ask the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to reassess it.

The VOA's Check, Challenge, Appeal (CCA) service launched on 1st April 2017. This was in support of the Government's aims to reform the rating system under the heading of CCA. The regulations that underpin this were laid in Parliament on 17th March 2017.

The VOA's check and challenge service is designed to get necessary changes made sooner, without there being an automatic need for an appeal, saving this route for those complex cases that need it. The aim is to narrow down the issues at each stage.

Check and challenge will give ratepayers more certainty about the basis of their rateable value by allowing them to initiate a check and confirm or update the details of their property. Following a check, if they have reason to believe that their valuation is wrong, they will be able to submit a challenge, and provide supporting evidence.

The VOA will be making this service increasingly digital over time, in line with customer expectations to interact with them online, and expect to launch functionality in phases from 1st April 2017 through to late 2018.

2017 Revaluation Advice from the Valuation Office Agency (VOA website information)

Revaluation Questions





I want more information about business rates and rateable value

Go to www.gov.uk/introduction-to-business-rates



I want to find out my rateable value, and find out how it's worked out

Go to www.gov.uk/voa/valuation where you can look up your property by postcode and see details




I want to update the property details

Go to www.gov.uk/voa/revaluation where you can look up your property by postcode and send in suggested amendments to the details


I want to know why my rateable value is different from my rent.


The VOA look at many rents in an area before deciding on the right rateable value for each property. Rents can vary between properties in an area, even if the properties are similar and the rents are agreed at the same time. This is because landlords and tenants often have different views on the rental value of a property and sometimes there are special lease terms that can affect the rent paid.


Go to



I want to know the rent/trade details of my property

The VOA does not publish this information online, as that would breach the Data Protection Act.


Refer caller to 03000 501 501 (03000 505 505 in Wales) to request the details from us.


My business has closed, and I would like the property taken out of the Rating List

The VOA doesn't remove properties from the rating list just because the business has closed. It is more than likely that if the property still exists it may still be rateable.


Go to www.gov.uk/introduction-to-business-rates



I have a property that is in poor repair

Go to www.gov.uk/guidance/repair-and-rateable-value so you can consider their next steps - depending on state of disrepair.



My property is undergoing refurbishment or structural alterations.

Go to www.gov.uk/guidance/repair-and-rateable-value to see if this affects them and what to do if it does.



I want to know about zoning

The VOA uses zoning to measure retail premises. This is a standard method of measuring retail premises for valuation purposes.


Go to www.gov.uk/guidance/measuring-property-for-rating-purposes


I believe my property measurements are wrong

Go to www.gov.uk/voa/valuation where you can look up your property by postcode and send in suggested amendments to the measurements



I want to appeal/challenge the 2017 rateable value


Go to www.gov.uk/voa/revaluation where you can look up your property by postcode and, if needed, submit a check on the property details.


I want to appeal/challenge the 2010 rateable value


Go to www.gov.uk/voa/revaluation where you can look up your property by postcode and submit an appeal on the 2010 valuation


I want to correct address inaccuracies including the postcode

If the address details listed on www.gov.uk/voa/valuation do not match the used address, you can submit a request to amend it online


I want to know if I should be paying business rates if a business is being run from home


You don't usually have to pay business rates for home based businesses if you:


· Use a small part of your home for your business, e.g. you use a bedroom as an office


· Sell goods by post

Go to www.gov.uk/introduction-to-business-rates/working-at-home



I have no web access

Callers without web access will need to ring 03000 501 501 for any of the circumstances in this table.


You can write to the VOA about check and challenge at:

Check & challenge service

PO Box1827


SO15 9HH

Your bill must be paid as per the instalments outlined on it even if you have appealed against the rateable value. A dispute over the rateable value is not considered a valid legal reason to withhold payment.

Should you wish to appeal against your rateable value you may wish to contact a rating advisor (or they may contact you). It is important that you satisfy yourself that he or she has the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. You may wish to make sure they are from a reputable company.

Beware that some rating advisors may make misleading or false claims. Some agents do not always fully explain that a reduction in rateable value may not always lead to a reduction in the amount of rates you have to pay. This is because there are limits on how much rates bills can change from year to year under the Transitional scheme.

Please be careful before entering into a contract with a ratings advisor. Take advice if necessary. Bear in mind that no one can guarantee a reduction in rateable value no matter how persuasive they may be.




Business Rates
Chichester District Council
East Pallant House
West Sussex
PO19 1TY
United Kingdom
01243 534501

Valuation Office Agency (VOA)
United Kingdom
+44 03000 501501