We are putting together a new Housing Strategy which sets out how the council plans to meet local housing needs. We would like to hear your views on the current priorities and what should be included in the new strategy.

To have your say all you need to do is follow the link on this page to the online survey. The deadline for responses is 15 March 2019, so please make sure you submit your responses before this date.

If you have general questions about housing and you can't find the answer on this page please get in touch.

We are happy to send paper copies of the questionnaire to people who need one, so if you or someone you know needs a paper copy of the survey please let us know.

Let's Talk Housing survey

Frequently asked questions

What is affordable housing?

Affordable housing is housing for sale or rent which is meant for people who cannot afford the houses on the market. Affordable housing includes any properties that are classed as a social rent or affordable rent property where the cost of the rent is at least 20% lower than local properties on the market. Usually, the landlord is a registered housing provider and access to this type of housing is generally available through the council's housing register. You can find out more by visiting our affordable housing to rent web page.

Low cost home-ownership is another part of affordable housing and includes shared ownership, equity share and discounted purchase. You can read more by visiting our affordable housing to buy web page.

Does the council own housing?

Not anymore. On 13 March 2001 the council transferred its housing stock to Chichester District Community Housing Limited, now called Hyde Housing Association. You can find out more by visiting our web page about  registered providers of housing in the district.

How are affordable rented homes given out?

Although we no longer own or manage our own housing stock, we still have to have a housing register and allocation scheme. We have a choice based lettings scheme which means people can make well-informed decisions about their housing options.

Once accepted onto the register people are considered for properties from any of the Registered Providers of Social Housing in Chichester District. People are placed under one of four priority bands: A, B, C and D. The band someone is given depends on the information they give about why they need to move. Band A is the highest need and Band D is the least priority.

Every fortnight a free online magazine is published on the housing register website to advertise the social housing vacancies in the district. People can bid on up to three properties in each cycle. You can find out more by visiting our affordable housing to rent web page.

Do you have to have a local connection to join the register?

Only applicants with a local connection to the district qualify to join the housing register. The allocation scheme was introduced to help keep local communities together and to make sure low income households can live somewhere they have a strong local connection. You can learn more about the allocations scheme by visiting our applying for the housing register web page.

What is the maximum someone can earn when applying to join the housing register?

People with an annual household income of more than four times the Local Housing Allowance for the size of property they need, do not qualify to join the housing register. The Local Housing Allowance rates are updated annually and you can view them on our about housing benefit web page.

What is self-build and custom-build housing?

This is housing where the person who is going to live there has organised its construction or has built it themselves. This type of housing can go on the market or be affordable housing. You can find out more by visiting our custom and self-build housing web page.

What is community led housing?

Community Led Housing is a way of allowing local people to play a leading role in helping to solve the need for housing in their neighbourhood. It allows communities to create affordable homes, brings the community together, allows economic growth and the ability to create places that are useful for the whole community like pubs, shops and bus services.

Through our Community Led Housing Officer, groups interested in community led housing can access a variety of support, information and funding. You can find our more by visiting our community led housing web page.

What is a house in multiple occupation?

Generally, this means that the people who live there are part of different households. An example could be two couples sharing a house or a group of students who share facilities such as the kitchen and bathroom. The type of property can be anything from a bedsit to a non-self-contained flat. Our Environmental Housing Team make sure that these properties meet the housing standards.

If there are more than five people living in a house of this kind the local council is required to licence the property. You can find out more by visiting our houses in multiple occupation web page.

What is the Housing Health and Safety Rating System?

The Housing Health and Safety Rating System is used by all local councils to judge the effect of certain hazards on the health, safety and wellbeing of the people living in the property. Using this system means local councils can make sure that any hazards are managed or removed so the house is safe to live in.

There are 29 hazards set out in this system which includes exposed wiring and dangerous or broken boilers. You can find out more by visiting our housing standards web page.

How can someone get housing advice and find out what legal rights they have and/or what their housing options are?