It is possible to make various types of minor changes to your house, without having to apply for planning permission. These changes are called, permitted development rights. Guidance on rules that relate to permitted development are found on the Planning Portal.

Find out about permitted development

Do I need planning permission

If you would like informal advice as to whether planning permission is required for a small scale proposal then you can use our planning permission advice service.

To obtain advice it will be necessary to complete the form required, provide a sketch plan of the proposal and pay a fee of £97. Further information about what to include on the sketch plan is provided on the form:

What to expect

  • A formal written response in the form of a letter or email
  • An informal officer opinion as to whether permission is required for a development
  • A 15 working day turnaround
  • Input from the Council's Planning Technicians

What not to expect

  • Advice on complex proposals.
  • If the facts of the case are inconclusive, require significant research in to case law or a formal legal opinion then a Lawful Certificate may be required.