The average household in the UK could save up to £300 a year by looking at how they use and pay for their energy. There are many ways to save money including:

  • switching energy suppliers;
  • making small changes to the way you use energy;
  • investing in low cost insulation;
  • installing energy efficient appliances and boilers; and
  • producing your own energy.

There are also some grant schemes and discounts available to eligible residents

Home Energy Visits

Emma Pagett and Jo Williamson are Home Energy Visitors who carry out home visits to those in fuel poverty. They can:

  • Administer the West Sussex emergency heater scheme, providing heaters to those in emergency situations (nominal £1 cost per heater)
  • Offer and guide qualifying clients through the funding process for a new boiler, insulation or other measures
  • Advise on more appropriate tariffs and ways to stay warm affordably
  • Refer clients to other services where necessary.
  • Offer financial guidance, and support in other areas

The service is award-winning, free and aims to carry out a visit within 5 working days of referral.

 They also offer free impartial advice over the phone to anyone from any part of West Sussex. 

They are part of the Arun and Chichester Wellbeing teams and can be contacted on either 01903 737862 (Arun) 01243 521041 (Chichester)

Or email either  or

Boiler Replacement Help

  • Has your boiler broken?
  • Are you on certain income related benefits?

Households on low incomes can get help towards a new, energy efficient heating system and insulation through the West Sussex Affordable Warmth scheme.

If your household income is £16,010 or less and you receive certain benefits, you could get help towards a new energy efficient oil boiler, LPG boiler or electric storage heaters. Funding is also available for loft and cavity wall insulation.



Improve your comfort and health, health and wellbeing

To find out about the latest grants and discount schemes, see Housing financial assistance .

The Chichester Warm Homes Initiative

This is an additional and exclusive local scheme offered via the Council which may be able to help if the other sources of funding have for some reason not been found to be applicable.

Home owners and private sector tenants on a low income or certain means tested benefits can apply for funding for a whole house efficient heating system where they are in fuel poverty or suffering a Category 1 hazard for excess cold under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.

The funding is available to those who are on a low income or on a means tested benefit. Applicants must either be in receipt of a means tested benefit, Disabled Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment OR the household income is less than £20,000 pa and the applicant has less than £16,000 in savings

The funding can be up to £5000 (or £8000 in areas where gas is not available). Landlords have to pay the first £1000 in the case of a tenant being funded.

The cost of the works is registered as a land charge and is repayable upon sale of the property.

There are further conditions which apply.

Free survey and insulation work

Chichester District Council are currently supporting Energywise South who will arrange for a free survey and will carry out cavity wall insulation work if required. There is no charge to anyone for the survey or the cavity wall insulation. To arrange a home visit please contact:

Energywise South Ltd
Building 3
M3 Trade Park
Leigh Road
SO50 9YA
United Kingdom
+44 0800 567 7474

Save the environment

According to 2014 figures from the Department for Energy and Climate Change, residents in the Chichester district produce over seven tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions each year. More than a third of these emissions come from our homes. In fact, the average home emits more harmful carbon dioxide gas than the average car. If we all make an effort to reduce our energy use, we can help to reduce our carbon emissions and protect the beautiful environment we live in, keeping it safe for future generations.