Council tax appeals

You cannot appeal against the general levels of Council Tax set by the council each year.

If you make any of the appeals below you must continue with your regular payments until your appeal has been dealt with.

If you think the banding for your property is wrong

If you disagree with the Council Tax band your property is in, you should contact the Valuation Office Agency, not Chichester District Council.

What can I appeal against?

You can appeal against your Council Tax if you think:

  • your home should not be charged Council Tax and should be exempt (for a list of exemption classes, please visit the exemptions page)
  • that a discount or disabled reduction should have been given (for a list of discounts please visit the discounts page)
  • someone other than you should be liable to pay the Council Tax
  • that the works on a new or adapted property cannot be completed by the date shown on the completion notice we have served.

How can I appeal?

As a first step you must write to us, giving reasons why you think your Council Tax bill is wrong. We may then ask you for more information so a decision can be made on your appeal.

In your letter, you should include;

  • your name and address
  • the address of the property concerned
  • what your legal interest is in the property, for example, if you are the owner, tenant, or other
  • what decision you are appealing against and why you are appealing

We will then either;

  • decide that the bill is wrong and send you a new one
  • decide that the bill is right and explain why

We have two months to reply in writing from the date we receive your appeal. If you disagree with our decision, or you do not hear back within two months, you can then appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. You must do this in writing within two months of receiving a letter from Chichester District Council refusing your appeal.

For completion notices, you must appeal direct to the Valuation Tribunal within four weeks from the date of issue of the notice.

The Valuation Tribunal is an independent legal body. If the Valuation Tribunal agrees with you, Chichester District Council is obliged to update your bill and make the necessary adjustment to your payments.