Carers' permits can be issued to residents receiving care who live within the controlled parking zones. The permit is issued to the resident of the property and can then be passed to the carer whilst they are providing domiciliary care.

In order to buy a Carers' Permit:

  • you must live at a property within a zone
  • the property should be your main place of residency
  • you must be a full time resident of the address requested
  • you must be receiving regular domiciliary care


Resident Carers' permit price list
Carers' permit price list

Resident Zone

Hours of Restriction in zone

12 Months

City Centre E



All Day Zones F, G, H, K, L, O



All Day Zones J, M



Part Day Zone H2, N



 Permits have a cost per annum but are free to those who can provide evidence of being in receipt of one of the following;

  1. Attendance Allowance (higher rate or lower rate where frequent help or constant supervision is required during the day).

  2. Receives 8 points or more under the "moving around" activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment.

  3. Higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance.


Applying for a permit

A Carer's Permit application form is available to print from our website.

They are also available from East Pallant House. In order that your application can be considered, you should complete an application form and also bring with you the following evidence:

Evidence required

In addition to the application form, in order to receive a Carers' Permit, Proof of Residency must be provided. This may include: a Council Tax bill, Domestic bills, Utilities bills, Tenancy agreements, Deeds to property. Evidence of regular care must also be provided, this could be:

  • A letter from the care company stating how frequently the resident is receiving care
  • Proof of care/bank statement (showing payment for care)/Support Plan/Invoice for care payments.

Please remember that without the above information we may not be able to process your application. The council reserve the right to refuse an application.

Using a Carers' permit

The permits are only valid in Permit Holder bays and vehicles should always park wholly within the markings of the bay.

  • A Carers' permit should be displayed clearly on the windscreen or on the dashboard of a vehicle. The permit should be displayed immediately upon arriving at the parking place.
  • A Carers' permit is available for use in Permit Holder or Shared Use bays in the zone for which it is purchased. The Zone is stated on both the permit itself and also the signs that accompany the permit holder bays.
  • The vehicle in which the permit is displayed must be able to fit wholly in the bay or alternative parking should be located.
  • If you are unable to display the permit, Residents Visitor Permits' (RVP's) can be purchased (RVP's are not available for E Zone residents').
  • 'POOLCAR' can be logged against a permit.
  • Failure to park in accordance with the West Sussex County Council Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) or to comply with the Terms and Conditions of your permit may result in a Penalty Charge Notice being issued. Please go to to view the TRO.

If you no longer need a permit or if you move addresses, we ask that you inform the council as soon as possible to enable us to cancel it. Permits are linked by address and are not transferable.

If the council suspects that the permit is being misused, it reserves the right to withdraw or cancel a permit at any time.

All permits are sent 2nd class and this should be taken into account when applying for a permit. Permits are valid from the 1st of each month for a period of 6 months or 1 year. Applicants should not park in a resident's bay until the permit or an alternative exemption is displayed.

Change of registration (additional vehicle registrations)

If you need to change a registration (or an additional registration) on your carer permit, an administration charge of £10.00 will apply for the issue of a replacement. Please return the permit and a valid V5 Document for the new vehicle. A registration cannot be amended or added without these being supplied. The Permit Holder must allow at least 36 hours for the Permit to be reproduced with the new details and also consider council opening hours, Bank and Public holidays. All permits are sent 2nd class

Lost permits

In the event of a permit being lost, an administration charge of £10.00 will apply for the issue of a replacement. Please see the 'Permit Changes Form' which can be printed, completed and returned to Parking Services. The Permit Holder must allow at least 36 hours for the Permit to be reproduced and also consider council opening hours, Bank and Public holidays. All permits are sent 2nd class.


Renewing a permit

In order that we can renew a Carer permit, the correct evidence must be provided. Please see the 'Evidence required' section.

If renewing an existing permit, please ensure that you allow 7 days before the expiry date to receive your new permit.

Permit holders should allow 3 working days for delivery, (2nd class post) and should not park in a resident's bay until the permit or alternative exemption is displayed. When a carer permit is due to expire, Parking Services will send a renewal reminder letter/email. However, it remains the responsibility of the permit holder to ensure that the permit is renewed and we recommend making a calendar note to ensure that you receive your renewed permit in sufficient time.


To request a refund, the permit must be returned to Parking Services. Refunds can only be issued for the remaining full months of the Permit. This will be payable by BACS Transfer to the original payment card and a refund form must be filled out. If the refund needs to be transferred to a different card please fill in this section on the refund form, these can be printed out.



The council has a duty to protect the public funds it administers.  To prevent and assist in the detection of fraud, the information you provide on any forms may be shared with other public bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds.  This includes checks on credit reference agencies and taking part in the National Audit Office's Fraud Initiative.  For further information, see the National Fraud Initiative page on the West Sussex County Council website.

Any person making a false statement for the purpose of obtaining a residents' parking permit shall be guilty of an offence (Section 115 (2) Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984).