Toggle menu

Apply for planning permission

The easiest way to apply for planning permission is through the Planning Portal (subject to a service fee).

Planning portal - apply for planning permission (opens new window)

Paper forms are also available for download.


Download planning application forms (opens new window)

Download planning application forms (prior approval) (opens new window)

Do I need to apply for planning permission?

Not all work will require planning permission. Check on the interactive guide on the Planning Portal to see what does and doesn't need planning permission. If your property is a listed building you must also apply for listed building consent. Planning permission may also be needed if your property lies within a Conservation area.

Check to see if you need planning permission (opens new window)

The Planning Department provide informal advice on whether planning permission is required. You can also find our about requesting planning permission advice

Local List requirements

The Local List sets out Chichester District Council's (CDC) policy on the information which must be provided in support of all planning application types within Chichester District, outside of the South Downs National Park (SDNP), for the council to determine their validity.

Please note the South Downs National Park Authority (SDNPA) has separate Local Requirements to CDC which are applicable within the SDNP. 

The CDC Local List includes the mandatory national requirements as specified within the Town and Country (Development Management Procedure) Order (DMPO) and additional information reasonably necessary to enable the council to determine the application.

The current CDC Local List is available to view:

CDC Local Validation List November 2023 (Word doc) [136KB]

New national requirement

This document contains interim guidance concerning Biodiversity Net Gain used in order to support a planning application.

Biodiversity Net Gain Checklist (Word doc) [15KB]

Please note from the 1 August 2021, it is a national requirement to include a fire statement with planning applications (opens new window) relevant to:

  • buildings containing two or more dwellings,
  • educational accommodation that meet the height condition of 18m or more in height, or;
  • 7 or more storeys.

Pre-application advice

If you would like planning advice from the council, we now offer a range of services. These include;

  • Speaking to a member of the team in reception as part of the 'Duty Planner Service' ,

  • Booking a meeting to speak to a planner to discuss an initial proposal as part of the 'Planning Surgery',

  • Written advice on a range of projects including householder alterations, adverts, new dwellings and commercial proposals

  • Advice on listed buildings in writing and in person

  • Find out about pre-application advice

Permitted development

It is possible to make various types of minor changes to your house, without having to apply for planning permission. These changes are called, permitted development rights. Guidance on rules that relate to permitted development are found on the Planning Portal.

Find out about permitted development (opens new window)

Planning fees

Is the application site within South Downs National Park?

South Downs National Park Authority - Do I live in the national park? (opens new window)

For planning application sites falling within the Chichester Planning Authority Area

Please make fee payments via the Planning payments page or, by calling the council's Customers Services team on 01243 534734. For fee advice visit the Planning Portal fee guide (opens new window).

For planning application sites falling within the South Downs National Park Planning Authority Area

Please make fee payments via the SDNP Planning payments page or, by calling the council's Customers Services team on 01243 534734. For fee advice visit the Planning Portal fee guide (opens new window).

What to do if you don't need planning permission

You can apply for a certificate which is a legally binding document that protects all parties and can be relied upon when conducting property searches. There are 2 types of certificates:

  • Apply for a lawful development certificate (Proposed) - this will confirm whether or not your proposal requires planning permission.
  • Apply for lawful development certificate (Existing)  - this will confirm  whether or not planning permission was required for work which has taken place.

Apply for a lawful development certificate (opens new window)

View planning constraints and applications in your local area

You can view planning constraints and applications, by using our interactive web mapping system.

View planning applications in your area (opens new window)

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

Chichester District Council implemented its Community Infrastructure Levy on the 1 February 2016. An explanation of the CIL process and the relevant forms can be found on the Planning Portal Community Infrastructure Levy. It is recommended that applicants refer to this page prior to making a planning application for development.