Applying for benefit

You can apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction (previously known as Council Tax Benefit) if you are on a low income or claim other benefits such as Jobseeker's Allowance.

If you are making a new claim for Pension Credit/Income Support/Employment Support Allowance/Jobseeker's Allowance you can claim Housing Benefit at the same time. You will not be able to make a claim for Council Tax Reduction from the Department for Work and Pensions or the Pension Service. You should claim this directly from the Benefits section at Chichester District Council or whichever local authority sends you your Council Tax bill.

In certain circumstances we may be able to pay you benefit for a period before you made your claim. Please note that if you are of working age, the maximum backdate period is a month prior to the date it is requested. For pensioners, this can be up to 3 months.

Making an application online

This is the preferred option as your claim is treated as being received on the day you submit it. This also avoids delays which can occur when claims are submitted by post.

The form is interactive and so you only need answer the questions which are relevant to your application.

If you are able to scan the documents needed to support your claim, these can be attached to your application. This may speed up the processing of your claim. However, please note that you may be asked to provide original documentation in addition to this. 

When you submit your form, you will receive an email as proof that your claim has been received. You will also receive a declaration that you will need to print off and sign. If you do not have a printer, please make a note of the reference number and contact the Housing Benefit team on (01243) 534509 who will send one to you.

To make an application online please use one of the following links. Please ensure that you use the correct form:


If you are unable to apply online, please contact our Benefits team on 01243 534509 and we will send you an application form. If you request a form and send it back within a month we will treat the date of your request as your date of claim. You can also apply by phone by calling our new claim line on 01243 534612

Applying in person

Or you can visit our office at:

East Pallant House
1 East Pallant
West Sussex
PO19 1TY
United Kingdom
01243 534509

For all new claims we will need to see evidence of:

  • ID such as passport, driving license, birth certificate;
  • National Insurance Number;
  • Capital, savings and investments for example all bank accounts, ISA's, shares etc;
  • Earnings, we need to see your last 5 weekly pay slips, 2 monthly pay slips, or 3 fortnightly pay slips. If you are self employed we need to see your accounts for the last financial year;
  • Other income, such as pensions, maintenance, benefits, and Tax Credits;
  • Your rent, such as a Tenancy Agreement;
  • Money paid out for student maintenance or child care costs.

You should provide original documents for all of the above to support your claim. We cannot accept photocopies. All documents will be returned immediately.

Scanned documents may be accepted via email or as attachments to e-forms. However, you may be required to provide original documentation at a later date

You can apply for Second Adult Rebate on your Council Tax if you are a pensioner who shares your home with another adult who is not your partner and who is on a low income.