In assessing your application, the council will need to be assured that the following conditions are satisfied:
- 1. A person who is substantially and permanently disabled (whether through illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise) resides in the property And
- 2. At least one of the following facilities exists at the property;
- • A bathroom, which is not the only bathroom within the dwelling and is predominantly used for meeting the needs of the disabled person;
- • As above but kitchen;
- • Sufficient space to permit the use of a wheelchair indoors;
- • A room which is not a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory which is predominantly used by the disabled person and is required for meeting their needs.
- 3. At least one of the above facilities is essential and of major importance to the disabled person’s well being because of the nature or extent of his/her disability.
It may be necessary for you to supply a letter from your doctor, or other qualified professional, such as an occupational therapist or Social worker, confirming the extent of the person’s disability. If this is required a letter will be sent to you for confirmation by your doctor or qualified professional.
It will be necessary for a Council Inspector to visit your property to verify the facilities you have indicated are essential or of major importance to the disabled person’s well being, due to the nature or the extent of the disability. The Inspector will contact you to arrange a convenient time to visit.
Depending on the number of adults resident in the property, you may also qualify for a discount from Council Tax, if one or more residents qualify to be “disregarded”. Discount will be awarded on receipt of a successful application, and you should tick an appropriate box if your property is occupied by one or more of the following:
- • A residential care worker who is engaged or employed for more than 24 hours per week at wages of less than £36.00 per week;
- • A resident who provides care for a relative other than spouse or partner for at least 35 hours per week;
- • A resident who is severally mentally impaired;
However, as long as there are at least two residents in the property who do not qualify to be “disregarded” for Council Tax discount purposes, discount will not apply.