Backdating claim form

In certain circumstances we may be able to pay you benefit for a period before you made your claim.

Change of address

If you claim for housing and council tax reduction and have moved within the Chichester District you need inform us.

Benefit - change of address

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) form

If you are having difficulty meeting your rent payments and/or council tax liability, you can apply for discretionary payments.

Please note that the conditions for these payments vary. 

Discretionary Housing Payment form

The Discretionary Housing Payment fund is available to help people with their housing costs. They are only awarded to individuals with exceptional financial circumstances.

The fund has a limited budget and payments are awarded as a short term measure to help claimants in difficult circumstances. If the limit of the fund is reached all awards will be withdrawn.

Generally housing costs means rental liability; however housing costs can be interpreted more widely to include:

  • Rent in advance
  • Deposits
  • Other lump sum costs associated with housing need such as removal costs

These payments are made in addition to Housing Benefit and you must be getting Housing Benefit or Universal Credit in order to receive a Discretionary Housing Payment. 

Discretionary Council Tax Reduction (DCTR) form

Discretionary Council Tax Reduction is available to assist people in the following groups who are financially vulnerable and struggling to pay their Council Tax. To be considered for this support you must make an application for Council Tax Reduction and be in one of the following groups:

  • On the Universal Credit banded Council Tax Reduction scheme, suffering financial hardship and/or disadvantaged by the banded scheme in comparison to the means test or legacy benefits.
  • Have had an award adjustment on your Council Tax Reduction claim and are unable to meet the increased Council Tax due.
  • A care leaver in need of additional Council Tax Reduction to help transition into adulthood.
  • Working age households in receipt of Council Tax Reduction will automatically receive up to £150 for 2022/23. This will be applied to eligible accounts for all working age households in receipt of Council tax Reduction on 1 April 2022. This will be part of our annual billing process and for all new working age awards of Council Tax Reduction throughout the year. 

How to make an application 

When you make an application, please include the following:

  • Explain why you are finding it difficult to meet the cost of your Council Tax
  • Give details of any steps you have taken to try and help yourself, such as seeking debt or budgeting advice.

You will also need to tell us about your income and outgoings, giving us as much detail as possible will help us get a fuller picture of your financial position and determine the amount of support that you need.


Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction form

Council Tax Reduction provides assistance with the payment of council tax to those who are on a low income.

Make a new claim

Second Adult Rebate (pensionable age applicants only)

Second Adult Rebate is another way for you to receive help with paying your council tax.

You can claim Second Adult Rebate if you are of pensionable age, you pay council tax and live with someone over 18 who:

  • is not paying you rent;
  • does not have to pay council tax;
  • is not your spouse or partner; or
  • are on a low income

If you would like to check whether you are eligible for this, please contact the Benefits team on (01243) 534509.