Amendments of limits for the years 2022-2023 

The Alcohol Licensing (Coronavirus) (Regulatory Easements) (Amendment) Regulations 2021 have amended certain limits for Temporary Event Notices for the years 2022 and 2023 only, this is to help businesses and individuals during the pandemic. Therefore, for these years, the maximum number of events is 20 (not 15) and the maximum number of days is 26 (not 21). 

Acknowledgement of notices during Covid 19

Whilst your notice has been acknowledged in accordance with the Licensing Act 2003, it does not however remove any requirement(s) which may apply as a result of national restrictions that may be in place at the time of the event. Please visit the GOV.UK website for further information or if you require specific guidance or advice, please contact our Health Protection Team on


Apply for a temporary event notice (TEN) licence

What is a TEN?

A Temporary Event Notice (the 'TEN') is given by a person, referred to as a 'premises user', who proposes to undertake licensable activities for a limited period. This can be at a premises that does not have an existing authorisation under the Licensing Act 2003 (the 'Act'), or indeed from a premises that does where the intention is to offer additional licensable activities and/or alter the existing licensed hours.

Where a TEN is being submitted in relation to a specific area of a large premises or piece of land and it is not clear from the TEN exactly where this area is, we would ask that a suitable plan is provided which clearly shows the exact area.

A 'standard' TEN must ordinarily be given with at least 10 clear working days notice before the date on which the event is to commence. However in some cases a 'late' TEN may be given where the notice period is between 5 and 9 clear working days.  Please note that 'clear working days' does not include the day the TEN is given, the first day of the event or statutory Bank Holidays.  We strongly recommend that TENs are given at the earliest opportunity.

For both 'standard' and 'late' TENs, the following requirements must be met:

  • A person who does not hold a Personal Licence may only give five TENs in a calendar year, of which only two can be 'late' TENs; 
  • A person who holds a Personal Licence may only give 50 TENs in a calendar year, of which only 10 can be 'late' TENs;
  • No premises may be the subject of TENs on more than 15 occasions per calendar year (or, in relation to event periods occurring wholly or partly in 2022 or 2023, no more than 20 temporary event notices)
  • No premises may be the subject of TENs for more than 21 days per calendar year in total (or, in relation to event periods (or any part of those periods) occurring in 2022 or 2023, no more than 26 days)
  • A maximum of 168 hours can be licensed by way of a single TEN, and there must be at least 24 hours between TENs when submitted by the same person, associate or business colleague in relation to the same premises; and
  • No more than 499 people including any staff, organisers, stewards and performers may be in the licensed area at any one time.

Should any of the above requirements not be met we would be unable to acknowledge receipt of the TEN and the proposed licensable activities would not be permitted to take place. Once a valid TEN has been given, we will acknowledge receipt by returning an endorsed copy.

Sussex Police and the Environmental Management Team may submit an objection to any TEN on the grounds of any of the four licensing objectives. The purpose of this would be to prevent the licensable activities taking place or in the case of a 'standard' TEN to possibly modify it or attach conditions. In respect of a 'late' TEN there is no ability to modify a TEN and therefore the licensable activities would simply not be permitted to take place.

Recent amendments to the Act have resulted in a number of activities that used to constitute regulated entertainment no longer being licensable. In particular, if you are submitting a TEN for regulated entertainment only, please check whether your proposed activity is licensable by visiting  Entertainment Licensing .

Giving a TEN

You can either:

(a) Email a TEN form (L29) to: (we serve a copy on the other Responsible Authorities) and make the necessary payment.

(b) Post a TEN form (L29) to:

(i) Licensing Team, Housing and Environment Services, Chichester District Council, East Pallant House, 1 East Pallant, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 1TY.

(ii) Chief Officer of Sussex Police, c/o Licensing Officer, Sussex Police, Centenary House, Durrington Lane, Worthing, West Sussex, BN13 2PQ (Sussex Police have specifically asked that this address is used, however it is permissible to give a copy at any other Sussex Police station).

(iii) Environmental Protection Team, Housing and Environment Services, Chichester District Council, East Pallant House, 1 East Pallant, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 1TY.

A TEN costs £21 and should be paid by card via our Customer Services Team when visiting the council offices or by telephone on 01243 785166.

(c) Submit a TEN form electronically (please remember to download and save a blank form which must then be completed and saved again by you prior to uploading and submission):