Toggle menu

Apply for building regulations

Apply for building regulation approval

You can start work after you have submitted a Full Plans Application or Building Notice provided you give at least two days notice. You can choose to submit a Building Notice for all domestic work unless it involves building over or near a public sewer. A Full Plans Application provides the peace of mind that your plans are completely approved, and can be submitted for all work except replacement windows and electrical work to a domestic property. In these cases, you would use a Building Notice unless you hire an installer who is Fenestration Self Assessment Scheme (FENSA) registered for your windows, or an electrician under the Local Authority Building Control Competent Persons Register.

Most alterations and refurbishment of existing buildings - as well as new buildings - will require an application for Building Regulations approval. If you have any doubt as to whether or not an application is required please contact us.

Once you have submitted a valid Full Plans application or Building Notice to us, you can start works within 48 hours. Please be aware that works undertaken prior to approval on a Building Regulation application will be undertaken at your own risk. Please note that it is your responsibility to have obtained relevant Planning Permission or ascertained that it is not required. You are advised to contact Development Management if you have any doubt as to whether a planning application is required.

To speed up the application process, you can apply online. You will need electronic copies of any plans you have prepared for your scheme. Alternatively, application forms are available upon request.

Full plans application

Non-domestic work must take the Full Plans route. 

Full Plans applications should include full detailed drawings and specifications for the works, together with structural calculations if applicable.

We check the submitted plans very carefully against the standards required by the Building Regulations. This means we can attempt to find all the problems at a time when they can most easily be corrected.

LABC Application for Building Control Approval with Full Plans (England) Notes and Checklist (Word doc) [117KB]

Building control full plans application

Regularisation application

A Regularisation Application is required where works have already been carried out without consent and the owners wish them to officially conform to Building Regulations.

Please note that it is illegal to carry out work requiring Building Regulations without first submitting an application.

LABC Regularisation Certificate Application (England) Notes and Checklist (Word doc) [104KB]

Building control regularisation application

Building notice application

For domestic alterations and extensions you may submit a Building Notice giving details of your proposals.

Building notices cannot be used for applications relating to commercial buildings where the works involve any changes affecting the layout or fire precaution arrangements.

LABC Building Notice (England) Notes and Checklist (Word doc) [114KB]

Building notice application

Reversion application

Under the Building Act 1984 it is possible for a third party Approved Inspector to carry out the building control function for controllable work. To do this they must submit an Initial Notice to the council.

This removes the council from any obligation to control the work. Approval of the work becomes subject to the Approved Inspector's control.

Where the approved Inspector is no longer able to carry out that function, for whatever reason, and the work has started, the initial notice will need to be cancelled. The work will then need to revert to your local authority building control team by making a reversion application.

Your local authority building control team is the only body allowed to retrospectively approve work. 

Failing to submit, without reasonable excuse, a cancellation notice, in the case of an (JS to check) approved Inspector no longer being able to carry out their building control function, is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale.

Our guidance document will provide you with more detailed information about how to make a reversion application in our area. We will aim to work with you to ensure works can be approved and appropriate certification issued as quickly as possible.

Please download the form and email it to as outlined in the guidance document.

Initial Notice Cancellation Form (Word doc) [345KB]

Reversion Application Form (Word doc) [67KB]

Guidance on applying for Reversion of Initial Notice applications (Word doc) [42KB]

Request reactivation of a file over 3 years

Where works have commenced but a site inspection has not been requested within three years the application will be archived. If more than 3 years has elapsed since the last inspection, a reactivation charge of £75+VAT will be applied when a request for an inspection is received.

Request reactivation of a file over 3 years

Amendments form

If a Building Control officer has contacted you to request amendments to your application, they can now be submitted via the Building Control Amendments form.

Building control amendments form

Please note that site inspections must be requested by 4:30pm the working day prior to the inspection being required. 

Apply for building regulation approval (opens new window)

Book a building control inspection

This form can be used to book a  building control inspection online.

Building control inspection form

When to notify the Building Control officer

You or your builder are required to notify the Building Control officer at the following stages:

  • Works to start 
  • Excavations for concrete
  • Foundation concrete
  • Oversite concrete
  • Damp-proof course and oversite concreted
  • Soil and vent pipe under test
  • Foul water drains
  • Foul drains back filled and under test
  • Surface water drains
  • Occupation before completion
  • Completion

This framework may not be appropriate to all types of work (for example, loft conversions). In order to provide the best service, the Building Control officer may visit when other stages are reached.

Do you need to apply for building regulation approval?

You will need to check if your work requires building regulations approval as not all work requires it. If you don't require building regulation approval please note you may still need planning permission. 

Check if building regulation approval is needed (opens new window)

Building Control Public Access

You can view building control applications from the 1 January 1994. This listing in part relies on information provided by third parties so we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

View Building Control Public Access (opens new window)

Alternatively, you can notify us by telephone, email or in writing:

Name: Building Control


Chichester District Council
East Pallant House
West Sussex
PO19 1TY
United Kingdom


Tel: +44 01243 534681

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon